Frequently asked questions

Bulls on the Twin Cities campus in St. Paul

Expand all

Application procedures

Q: Does Minnesota have a supplemental application?
A: No. We use a behavioral interview in place of a supplemental application.

Q: Does Minnesota have an application processing fee?
A: Yes. An $85 application processing fee is payable online with a credit or debit card.

  • $85 for the University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine
  • $85 for SDSU - UMN (Rural Veterinarian Practitioners Program)
  • $135 for both UMN and combined SDSU - UMN (Rural Veterinarian Practitioners Program)

Q: Can I submit my application processing fee before the VMCAS application deadline?
A: Yes! You may pay your fee online anytime after the application is launched in January, but prior to the VMCAS application deadline.

Q: Can I write a check for my application fee?
A: No, we are only accepting application fees paid online with a debit or credit card.


Q: Where do I mail my transcripts?
A: Transcripts can be mailed to the following address:
VMCAS - Transcripts
P.O. Box 9126
Watertown, MA 02471

Q: Can I send my transcripts to the University of Minnesota?
A: No, we are unable to process and verify transcripts. All transcripts (including foreign transcripts) will need to be sent directly to VMCAS. Transcripts sent to us in the past or future for the next admission cycle will not be forwarded to VMCAS.

Q: Does VMCAS need a transcript from every college I’ve ever attended?
A: Yes, including transcripts from any college courses taken while in high school.

Q: If I attend the U of M, do I still need to send a U of M transcript?
A: Yes, you need to send an official transcript to VMCAS.

Q: My name on my VMCAS application is different than my name on my transcripts. Does this matter?
A: Yes! Please contact VMCAS if you have transcripts under a different last name than the one noted on your VMCAS application.

Q: Do you need transcripts from colleges attended abroad?
A: Yes! Send all transcripts from each school you've attended, even if the grades were transferred back and are noted on a transcript from a U.S. college.

Q: How do I know if my transcripts have been received?
A: VMCAS will notify you if they are missing any required transcripts.

Q: Who can I contact for more information about this VMCAS and the transcript verification process?
A: You can contact VMCAS at the Student and Adviser hotline (617) 612-2885 or [email protected].

GRE scores

Q:  Has the GRE requirement been discontinued? 
A:  Yes. 

Q:  Can I still send in my GRE scores if I took the test? 
A:  No, these will no longer be evaluated during our academic audit.

Letters of recommendation

Q: How many electronic Letters of Recommendation (eLOR) do you require? 
A: We require a minimum of three eLORs. If more than three eLORs are submitted, the committee will review up to six. We strongly recommend that at least one letter come from a veterinarian.

Advance placement and foreign credit

Q: Will you accept credits taken abroad at foreign institutions?
A: We will accept credits taken abroad if they have been transferred back to a U.S. college and have been noted on a U.S. college transcript with a grade. If courses taken abroad have not been noted on a U.S. college transcript, the courses must be evaluated by an education service (such as World Education Service) for the course to be acceptable.

Q: Will you honor Advance Placement credit taken in high school?
A: Yes. We will honor Advance Placement credit as long as it’s clearly documented on an undergraduate transcript. If your undergraduate institution does not indicate this information on their transcripts, we will need to see official documentation from the college indicating they accepted credit towards specific classes. A letter from the college Registrar or an online degree planning printout will work.

Other questions

Q: Can I have courses in progress and still apply?
A: Yes. You can have courses in progress fall term 2021 and spring term 2022 for admission in fall of 2022. If you are offered admission and have spring term courses to complete, your offer will be considered provisional until a final transcript with your passing grade(s) has been received by our office. Please note that we will not accept courses taken in summer term 2022. Please also note you cannot have more than 5 required science and math courses planned or in-progress at the time of application (a class and coordinating lab are counted together and considered one class of the five).

Q: Is there an expiration date on coursework?
A: Yes, required science and math courses need to be taken within ten years of application. For this current application cycle (admission fall 2022), required science and math courses taken prior to fall 2011 will not be considered for admission. There is no expiration on courses used in meeting the English or liberal education requirements.

Q. Due to COVID-19, my college has offered grading of P/F or S/N for spring term 2020 and summer term 2020. Can P/F or S/N grading be used to meet prerequisite requirements taken spring 2020 and summer 2020? Will it be viewed negatively if I choose to take P/F or S/N grading?
A. Yes. We understand that COVID-19 has disrupted typical course instruction and delivery across the globe. We are therefore accepting courses with a grade of pass (P) or satisfactory (S) taken during spring semester 2020 and summer semester 2020. This includes prerequisite courses. Applicants who choose P/F or S/N grading for spring semester 2020 or summer semester 2020 will not be penalized. 
Please note that S/N or P/F coursework could impact an applicant's overall prerequisite GPA and/or last 45-semester credit GPA. It is important that each candidate consider the pros and cons of each grading option and select the option that best meets their needs. You can learn more about how we assess academic credentials by reviewing page 16 of the planning guide (pdf).

Q: When will I hear from you after I apply?
A: You should receive a confirmation email from us within a week of the application deadline. We communicate with applicants on a case-by-case basis, until application status update communications are sent in early January.

Q: Can my family or friends check on the status of my application, transcripts, etc.? Can they ask for feedback on my application on my behalf?
A: No. Your application is confidential! We cannot release any information to anyone other than the applicant due to privacy laws.

Q: When are interviews?
A: Applicants who receive interviews will be notified in January. Interviews will take place in late January and early February.

Q: If I am offered admission to the program, am I able to defer admission?
A: Requests to defer admission are granted by the Admission Committee on a case-by-case basis and only under extenuating circumstances. The deadline to request a deferral is July 1.

Q: Who do I contact if I have further questions?
A: Please send us an e-mail at [email protected] or call us at 612-624-4747.

Q: Is it possible to take a leave of absence once I have started the DVM program?
A: Yes.  We follow the University of Minnesota's Leave of Absence policy to the greatest extent possible. Individual counseling is provided to students considering this option on the academic and financial impacts caused by taking a leave of absence.

Q: How does a student withdraw once enrolled?
A: We follow the University of Minnesota's withdrawal procedures to the greatest extent possible. Individual counseling is provided to students considering this option on the academic and financial impacts caused by withdrawing.  

Q: Where can I read about the UMN CVM's academic policies?
A: All of our academic policies are documented on our current student website.

Wait list applicants

Q: Do all interviewing applicants receive a wait list offer?
A: No, only select applicants receive wait list offers.

Q: What is the likelihood I will receive an offer of admission?
A: Movement on the wait list varies from year to year. Some years we make many offers to applicants on the wait list; other years we make very few offers.

Q: Are there separate wait lists for resident and non-resident applicants?
A: Yes. Resident wait list applicants will be contacted if a resident seat becomes available. Non-resident wait list applicants will be contacted if a non-resident seat becomes available.

Q: How often will I receive a wait list ranking update?
A: The first wait list ranking update will be emailed in late April. Subsequent updates will be sent periodically throughout the summer until the start of the fall semester. Wait list applicants are always welcome to check their wait list ranking by emailing [email protected] after the first update has occurred.

Q: If I am on the wait list and I am offered admission, may I defer for one year?
A: Wait list students must officially accept their offer of admission at which time they can request to defer by the deferral deadline of July 15. Applicants offered admission after the July 15 deferral deadline must accept or decline their offer as the deferral deadline has passed.

Q: Does my wait list status roll over to next year’s application cycle if I am not offered admission? Do I need to reapply?
A: The wait list expires on the first day of classes in the new academic year. Wait list applicants not offered admission by that time will need to reapply again the following cycle. The wait list does not roll over to the next cycle.

Q: If I am on the wait list this year and am not offered admission, will my application be viewed negatively the following cycle?
A: No. All applicants receive a fresh start each application cycle and are not penalized for a previous, unsuccessful application.

Q: Should I complete my FAFSA if I am on the wait list?
A: Yes. You can cancel your FAFSA if you are not accepted to a D.V.M. program.