Sagar M. Goyal, PhD
PhD, Haryana Agricultural University, 1972
MSc, Haryana Agricultural University, 1968
BVSc, Panjab Agricultural University, 1966
Licensures and Certifications
Awards & recognition
- Pfizer Award for Research Excellence in Veterinary Medicine, 2005
- Civil Service Award for Outstanding Faculty, 1991
- Internat. Dir. of Distinguished Leadership, 3rd. Ed., 1990
- Honors in MS and PhD Competitive Fellowship, Dept. of Atomic Energy, 1969-72
- Pathogenesis and control of viral infections in livestock and poultry
- Development of methods for the detection and prevention of human and animal viruses in food, water, and environment
Research funding grants
- Evaluation of disinfectants against Seneca Valley virus. Swine Health Information Center. $19,296.
- Development of a conventional ELISA for the detection of antibodies against Seneca Valley virus. Swine Disease Eradication center. $11,344.
- Effect of certain ingredients on survival of PEDV and Salmonella in swine feed. SNAK. $11,000.
- Effect of low molecular weight compounds on animal viruses. Elanco. $23,770.
- Evaluation of Stalosan F as a disinfectant against porcine epidemic diarrhea virus (PEDV). Vitfoss. $7,898.
- Evaluation of Stalosan F as a disinfectant against avian influenza and infectious bursal disease viruses. Vitfoss. $12,750.
- Velayudhan BT, Noll SL, Thachil AJ, Shaw DP, Goyal SM, Halvorson DA, Nagaraja KV. 2007. Development of a vaccine-challenge model for avian metapneumovirus subtype C in turkeys. Vaccine. 25(10):1841-7.
- Tiwari A, Patnayak DP, Chander Y, Goyal SM. 2006. Permissibility of different cell types for the growth of avian metapneumovirus. J Virol Methods. 138(1-2):80-4.
- Tiwari A, Patnayak DP, Chander Y, Parsad M, Goyal SM. 2006. Survival of two avian respiratory viruses on porous and nonporous surfaces. Avian Dis. 50(2):284-7.
- Allwood PB, Malik YS, Maherchandani S, Hedberg CW, Goyal SM. 2005. Effect of Temperature on the Survival of F-Specific RNA Coliphage, Feline Calicivirus, and Escherichia coli in Chlorinated Water. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2(3-4):442-6.
- Tiwari A, Patnayak DP, Goyal SM. 2006. Attempts to improve on a challenge model for subtype C avian pneumovirus. Avian Pathol. 35(2):117-21.
- Chander Y, Goyal SM, Gupta SC. 2006. Antimicrobial resistance of Providencia spp. isolated from animal manure. Vet J. 172(1):188-91.
- Godden, S., S. McMartin, J. Feirtag, J. Stabel, R. Bey, S. Goyal, L. Metzger, J. Fetrow, S. Wells, and H. Chester-Jones. 2006. Heat-treatment of bovine colostrum II: Effects of heating duration on pathogen viability and immunoglobulin G. J. Dairy Sci. 89:3476-3483..
- Gramer, M., Lee, J.H., Choi, Y.K., Goyal, S.M., and Joo, H.S. 2006. Serologic and genetic characteristics of H3N2 isolates of swine influenza virus. Can. J. Vet. Res. Submitted.
- Kim, S.W., Ramakrishnan, M.A., Anantharaman, S., Goyal, S.M., and Raynor, P.C. 2006. Factors affecting virus nebulization and filter efficiency for transmissible gastroenteritis virus. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. Submitted.
- Velayudhan, B. Thachil, A., Noll, S., Halvorson, D.A., Shaw, D.P., Goyal, S.M., and Nagaraja, K.V. 2006. Comparative pathology of avian metapneumovirus infection in turkeys caused by early and recent isolates. Avian Pathol., submitted October 12, 2005.
- Clay, S., Maherchandani, S., Malik, Y.S., and Goyal, S.M. 2006. Survival of Feline calicivirus a surrogate for Noroviruses on some uncommon fomites. Am. J. Infect. Control. 34: 1..
- Patnayak, D.P., and Goyal, S.M. 2006. Duration of immunity engendered by a single dose of cold adapted strain of avian pneumovirus. Can. J. Vet. Res. 70(1): 65-67.
- Malik, Y.S., Maherchandani, S., and Goyal, S.M. 2006. Comparative efficacy of ethanol and isopropanol against feline calicivirus, a Norovirus surrogate. Am. J. Infect. Control. 34(1):31-5.
- Chander, Y., Kumar, K., Goyal, S. M. and Gupta, S. C. 2005. Antimicrobial activity of soil bound antibiotics. J. Environ Qual. 34:1952-1957.
- Malik, Y.S., Maherchandani, S., Allwood, P.B., and Goyal, S.M. 2005. Evaluation of animal origin cell cultures for in vitro cultivation of Noroviruses. J. Appl. Res. Clin. Expt. Therapeutics. 5:312-317 (Opens PDF).
- Herman, M., Haugerud, S., Malik, Y.S., and Goyal, S.M. 2005. Improved in vitro cultivation of swine influenza virus. Internat. J. Appl. Res. Vet. Med. 3:124-128(Opens PDF).
- Malik, Y.S., Chander, Y., Gupta, S.C., and Goyal, S.M. 2005. A retrospective study on antimicrobial resistance in Mannheimia (Pasteurella) haemolytica, Escherichia coli, Salmonella spp., and Bordetella avium from chickens in Minnesota.
Scientific Writing and Speaking; A Career in Science; General Virology; Advanced Virology; Viral Diseases of Livestock and Poultry; Viral Infections of Humans; Environmental Virology
Development of rapid methods for the detection of viral infections in livestock and poultry