Sagar M. Goyal, PhD
Professor, Department of Veterinary Population Medicine (VPM)
PhD, Haryana Agricultural University, 1972
MSc, Haryana Agricultural University, 1968
BVSc, Panjab Agricultural University, 1966
Awards & Recognition
- Pathogenesis and control of viral infections in livestock and poultry
- Development of methods for the detection and prevention of human and animal viruses in food, water, and environment
Research Funding Grants
Evaluation of disinfectants against Seneca Valley virus. Swine Health Information Center. $19,296.
Development of a conventional ELISA for the detection of antibodies against Seneca Valley virus. Swine Disease Eradication center. $11,344.
Effect of certain ingredients on survival of PEDV and Salmonella in swine feed. SNAK. $11,000.
Effect of low molecular weight compounds on animal viruses. Elanco. $23,770.
Evaluation of Stalosan F as a disinfectant against porcine epidemic diarrhea virus (PEDV). Vitfoss. $7,898.
Evaluation of Stalosan F as a disinfectant against avian influenza and infectious bursal disease viruses. Vitfoss. $12,750.
- Velayudhan BT, Noll SL, Thachil AJ, Shaw DP, Goyal SM, Halvorson DA, Nagaraja KV. 2007. Development of a vaccine-challenge model for avian metapneumovirus subtype C in turkeys. Vaccine. 25(10):1841-7.
- Tiwari A, Patnayak DP, Chander Y, Goyal SM. 2006. Permissibility of different cell types for the growth of avian metapneumovirus. J Virol Methods. 138(1-2):80-4.
- Tiwari A, Patnayak DP, Chander Y, Parsad M, Goyal SM. 2006. Survival of two avian respiratory viruses on porous and nonporous surfaces. Avian Dis. 50(2):284-7.
- Allwood PB, Malik YS, Maherchandani S, Hedberg CW, Goyal SM. 2005. Effect of Temperature on the Survival of F-Specific RNA Coliphage, Feline Calicivirus, and Escherichia coli in Chlorinated Water. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2(3-4):442-6.
- Tiwari A, Patnayak DP, Goyal SM. 2006. Attempts to improve on a challenge model for subtype C avian pneumovirus. Avian Pathol. 35(2):117-21.
- Chander Y, Goyal SM, Gupta SC. 2006. Antimicrobial resistance of Providencia spp. isolated from animal manure. Vet J. 172(1):188-91.
- Godden, S., S. McMartin, J. Feirtag, J. Stabel, R. Bey, S. Goyal, L. Metzger, J. Fetrow, S. Wells, and H. Chester-Jones. 2006. Heat-treatment of bovine colostrum II: Effects of heating duration on pathogen viability and immunoglobulin G. J. Dairy Sci. 89:3476-3483..
- Gramer, M., Lee, J.H., Choi, Y.K., Goyal, S.M., and Joo, H.S. 2006. Serologic and genetic characteristics of H3N2 isolates of swine influenza virus. Can. J. Vet. Res. Submitted.
- Kim, S.W., Ramakrishnan, M.A., Anantharaman, S., Goyal, S.M., and Raynor, P.C. 2006. Factors affecting virus nebulization and filter efficiency for transmissible gastroenteritis virus. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. Submitted.
- Velayudhan, B. Thachil, A., Noll, S., Halvorson, D.A., Shaw, D.P., Goyal, S.M., and Nagaraja, K.V. 2006. Comparative pathology of avian metapneumovirus infection in turkeys caused by early and recent isolates. Avian Pathol., submitted October 12, 2005.
- Clay, S., Maherchandani, S., Malik, Y.S., and Goyal, S.M. 2006. Survival of Feline calicivirus a surrogate for Noroviruses on some uncommon fomites. Am. J. Infect. Control. 34: 1..
- Patnayak, D.P., and Goyal, S.M. 2006. Duration of immunity engendered by a single dose of cold adapted strain of avian pneumovirus. Can. J. Vet. Res. 70(1): 65-67.
- Malik, Y.S., Maherchandani, S., and Goyal, S.M. 2006. Comparative efficacy of ethanol and isopropanol against feline calicivirus, a Norovirus surrogate. Am. J. Infect. Control. 34(1):31-5.
- Chander, Y., Kumar, K., Goyal, S. M. and Gupta, S. C. 2005. Antimicrobial activity of soil bound antibiotics. J. Environ Qual. 34:1952-1957.
- Malik, Y.S., Maherchandani, S., Allwood, P.B., and Goyal, S.M. 2005. Evaluation of animal origin cell cultures for in vitro cultivation of Noroviruses. J. Appl. Res. Clin. Expt. Therapeutics. 5:312-317 (Opens PDF).
- Herman, M., Haugerud, S., Malik, Y.S., and Goyal, S.M. 2005. Improved in vitro cultivation of swine influenza virus. Internat. J. Appl. Res. Vet. Med. 3:124-128(Opens PDF).
- Malik, Y.S., Chander, Y., Gupta, S.C., and Goyal, S.M. 2005. A retrospective study on antimicrobial resistance in Mannheimia (Pasteurella) haemolytica, Escherichia coli, Salmonella spp., and Bordetella avium from chickens in Minnesota.
Scientific Writing and Speaking; A Career in Science; General Virology; Advanced Virology; Viral Diseases of Livestock and Poultry; Viral Infections of Humans; Environmental Virology
Specialist Microbiologist, American Academy of Microbiology
Development of rapid methods for the detection of viral infections in livestock and poultry