Cesar Corzo, DVM, MS, PhD
PhD, University of Minnesota, Saint Paul, Minnesota 2012
DVM, Universidad de La Salle, Bogota, Colombia 2002
MS, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada 2004
As a swine veterinarian, my research interest focuses on understanding the epidemiological features of diseases to develop methodologies to prevent, control and ultimately eliminate pathogens from pig populations. Specifically, I am interested in biosecurity compliance and the role of endemic bacteria during primary pathogen elimination.
I coordinate the Morrison Swine Health Monitoring Project (MSHMP) funded by the USDA, Pork Checkoff and the Swine Health Information Center (SHIC). This voluntary project monitors the incidence and prevalence of high impact diseases such as Porcine Reproductive and Respiratory Syndrome virus and Porcine Epidemic Diarrhea in approximately half of United States sow herd population.
Awards & recognition
- Maheswaran Fellowship in Food Animal Health. College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Minnesota. 2011.
- GSA Graduate Student Travel Award, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph. 2004.
- University Graduate Scholarship. Department of Population Medicine, Ontario Veterinary College. University of Guelph. Fall, 2003.
American Association of Swine Veterinarians, since 2003
- Paploski IAD, Corzo C, Rovira A, Murtaugh MP, Sanhueza JM, Schroeder DC, VanderWaal K. Temporal Dynamics of co-circulating lineages of porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus. Front Microbiol. 2019. 10:2486.
- Trevisan G, Linhares LCM, Crim B, Dubey P, Schwartz KJ, Burrough ER, Main RG, Sundberg P, Thurn M, Lages PTF, Corzo CA, Torrison J, Henningson J, Herrman E, Hanzlicek GA, Raghavan R, Marthaler D, Greseth J, Clement T, Christopher-Hennings J, Linhares DCL. Macroepidemiological aspects of porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus detection by major United States veterinary diagnostic laboratories over time, age, group and specimen. PLoS One. 2019. 14(10):e0223544.
- Vilalta C, Sanhueza J, Garrido J, Murray D, Morrison R, Corzo CA, Torremorell M. Indirect assessment of porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus status in pigs prior to weaning by sampling sows and the environment. Vet Microbiol. 2019. 237. doi: 10.1016/j.vetmic.2019.108406.
- Perez AM, Linhares DCL, Arruda AG, VanderWaaal K, Machado G, Vilalta C, Sanhueza JM, Torrison J, Torremorell M, Corzo CA. Individual or common good? Voluntary data sharing to inform disease surveillance systems in food animals. Front Vet Sci. 2019. Jun 21. doi: 10.3389/fvets.2019.00194.
- Sanhueza JM, Vilalta C, Corzo C, Arruda AG. Factors affecting porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus time-to-stability in breeding herds in the Midwestern United States. Transbound Emerg Dis. 2019. 66(2):823-830.
- Arruda AG, Tousignant S, Sanhueza J, Vilalta Z, Poljak Z, Torremorell M, Alonso C, Corzo CA. Aerosol detection and transmission of porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus (PRRSV): what is the evidence, and what are the knowledge gaps?. Viruses
- Vilalta C, Baker J, Sanhueza J, Murray D, Sponheim A, Sylvia F, Polson D, Torremorell M, Corzo C, Morrison B. Effect of litter aggregation and pooling on detection of porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus in pig processing fluids. J Vet Diag. Submitted.
- Machado G, Vilalta C, Corzo C, Torremorrell M, Perez A, VanderWaal K. Predicting outbreaks of Porcine Epidemic Diarrhea virus through animal movements and spatial neighborhoods. Sci Rep. 2019. Jan 24;9(1):457. Doi: 10.1038/s41598-018-36934-8.
- Sanhueza JM, Vilalta C, Corzo C, Arruda AG. Factors affecting Porcine Reproductive and Respiratory Syndrome virus time-to-stability in breeding herds in the Midwestern United States. Transbound Emerg Dis. 2018. Dec 6. Doi: 10.11111/tbed.13091.
- Vilalta, C, Sanhueza J, Alvarez J, Murray D, Torremorell M, Corzo C, Morrison R. Use of processing fluids to determine porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus infection status in pig litters. Vet Microbiol. 2018. 225:149-156.
- Neira V, Allerson, M, Corzo C, Rendahl A, Torremorell M. Detection of influenza A virus in aerosols of vaccinated and non-vaccinated pigs in a warm environment. PLoS One. 2018. 13(5): e0197600. doi: 10.137/journal.pone.0197600. eCollection 2018.
- Arruda AG, Sanhueza J, Corzo C, Vilalta C. Assessment of area spread of porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome (PRRS) virus in three clusters of swine farms. Transbound Emerg Dis. DOI: 10.1111/tbed.12875.