Apply for VetLEAD
VetLEAD applications will be accepted starting Friday, March 26, through Friday, April 23, 2021.
Applying for VetLEAD consists of three steps. All steps must be completed and all requested documents must be received by the application deadline of 4 p.m. CST on Friday, April 23, 2021. Questions can be directed to Karen Nelson via email at [email protected]
Applicants must meet the following basic requirements to be eligible for VetLEAD:
- Enrolled full time in a major and/or minor within the College of Agriculture and Food Science at Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University
- Has completed at least two semesters of full time enrollment at FAMU by the end of spring term 2021
- Will have at least two additional semesters of full time enrollment remaining at FAMU after the VetLEAD application is submitted and prior to graduation and/or DVM program start.
Desired Applicant Characteristics
Well qualified applicants will possess many of the following:
- FAMU cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.4 or higher
- Strong grades in required prerequisite courses, such as introductory biology and chemistry
- Past experience within the veterinary profession (volunteering, shadowing, paid position, etc.)
- Past experience within an animal care setting
- Involvement in extracurricular and community activities
- Leadership experience
How to Apply
Step 1: Complete the VetLEAD application by 4 p.m. CST on Friday, April 23, 2021.
You can reference a list of sample questions here. When you are ready, enter your information into the online application. Please note that the application itself may take a while to complete online, so it's important to have your responses saved separately, in case the application website times out due to inactivity.
Step 2: Request official college transcripts be sent to the University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine (UMN CVM).
This includes a transcript from the Florida A&M University (FAMU) and ANY other college(s) you may have attended, including those attended during high school or before attendance at FAMU. Transcripts are needed even if your college credit transferred to FAMU.
Step 3: Identify three references who will submit an evaluation on your behalf.
At least one of the references must be from a D.V.M. who can speak to your potential for success within the profession.
- A sample list of the questions included in the evaluation.
- Each reference must fill out a standardized evaluation form.
Important! All references are due back by the application deadline of 4:00 pm CST on Friday, April 23, 2021. The applicant is responsible for communicating the deadline to the reference writer and sending reminders as needed. Applicants submitting less than three references will be considered incomplete and therefore ineligible for consideration. References may contact us at [email protected] with any questions they may have.
The VetLEAD application review is extensive and consists of several evaluation steps. Applications will be evaluated for academic standing once spring semester grades are posted (late May 2021). Eligible candidates will be invited to interview at the University of Minnesota in June or July, either in person or via video conference. Students not selected for the VetLEAD program may still apply to the CVM at a later date through the traditional admissions process.