Apply for VetLEAD
VetLEAD applications will be accepted starting March 27, 2020
Applying for VetLEAD consists of five steps. All steps must be completed and all requested documents must be received by the application deadline. Questions can be directed to Karen Nelson via email at email@example.com, or by telephone at (612) 624-9780.
Applicants must meet the following basic requirements to be eligible for VetLEAD:
- Enrolled full time at Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University in a College of Agriculture and Food Science program and have completed at least 60 credits at FAMU.
- Currently classified at sophomore status according to FAMU transcript
- This is based on credits earned according to an applicant's FAMU transcript, and not based on year enrolled in the major (for example, you are a senior based on credits, but in your second year within the Animal Science program at FAMU. Unfortunately you would be ineligible.).
- Not currently applying for admission to any other D.V.M. program through VMCAS
Desired Applicant Characteristics
Well qualified applicants will possess many of the following:
- ACT score of 25 or higher or SAT score of 1130 or higher
- FAMU cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.4 or higher
- Strong grades in required prerequisite courses, such as introductory biology and chemistry
- Past experience within the veterinary profession (volunteering, shadowing, paid position, etc.)
- Past experience within an animal care setting
- Involvement in extracurricular and community activities
- Leadership experience
How to Apply
Step 1: Complete the VetLEAD application.
You can reference a list of sample questions here. The 2020 VetLEAD application will be available here on March 27, 2020. Please note that the application itself may take a while to complete online, so it's important to have your responses saved separately, in case the application website times out due to inactivity.
Step 2: Request official college transcripts be sent to the University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine (UMN CVM).
This includes a transcript from the Florida A&M University (FAMU) and ANY other college(s) you may have attended, including those attended during high school or before attendance at FAMU. Transcripts are needed even if your college credit transferred to FAMU.
Step 3: Request a copy of your high school transcript be sent to the UMN CVM.
All college and high school transcripts can be mailed to:
University of Minnesota
College of Veterinary Medicine
Academic and Student Affairs
Attn: Violeta Bonneville
108 Ben Pomeroy Center
1964 Fitch Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55108
Step 4: Request ACT/SAT scores to be sent to the UMN CVM.
High schools can submit ACT/SAT scores for a student via letter or documentation on a student transcript.
Step 5: Identify three references who will submit an evaluation on your behalf.
At least one of the references must be from a D.V.M. who can speak to your potential for success within the profession.
- A sample list of the questions included in the evaluation.
- Each reference must fill out a standardized evaluation form.
Important! All references are due back by the application deadline of 4:00 pm CST on Friday, April 26, 2019. The applicant is responsible for communicating the deadline to the reference writer and sending reminders as needed. Applicants submitting less than three references will be considered incomplete and therefore ineligible for admission. References may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (612) 626-7293, with any questions they may have.
The VetLEAD application review is extensive and consists of several evaluation steps. Applications will be evaluated for academic standing once spring semester grades are posted (late May, 2019). Eligible candidates will be invited to interview at the University of Minnesota in July, either in person or via video conference. Students not selected for the VetLEAD program may still apply to the CVM at a later date through the traditional admissions process.