Wellness and Academic Success
University of Minnesota Crisis Line
National Suicide Hotline
Need to talk?
The University of Minnesota-Twin Cities 24/7 crisis line is here for you. Call 612-301-4673 (HOPE) anytime.
You can also text "UMN" to 61222. Both phone and text offer 24/7 help to our campus community.
If you or someone you know is experiencing a life-threatening emergency, call 9-1-1.
Student Wellbeing guide
To serve our students and community, the team at the Bakken Center has developed a Student Wellbeing Guide that we invite you to explore and share. This guide features tips and strategies to help students focus on their wellbeing as they start the new semester.
- 4-7-8 Breathing
- Healthier Sleep
- Healthy Eating
- Increasing Positivity
- Exploring Purpose
- Developing Relationships
- Mindfulness for Racial Justice
- Community Wellbeing
- Making Wise Choices About Sex and Alcohol
- Dealing with Fear and Anxiety
- Planetary Health
- Importance of Outdoor Activities
- And more!
YOU at the UMN
Find tips and tools for everything from your mental and physical health, to friendships and finding balance. It’s all here at UMN.
Learn to Live
Learn to live offers free, 100% confidential online programs for stress, anxiety and worry, depression and social anxiety.
Visit https://www.learntolive.com/partners and enter the code UMN for access.
Students in the College of Veterinary Medicine are able to access mental health support in several ways. One option may be the embedded counselor, a mental healthcare provider who provides services specifically to students enrolled in CVM and the School of Dentistry, in partnership with Student Counseling Services (SCS). The embedded counselor can connect students with community referrals, facilitate workshops and programs in the College, and provide ongoing individual counseling to enrolled students. To schedule an appointment, contact Student Counseling Services at 612-624-3323 or visit the Getting Started website page to fill out paperwork online to request an appointment. Be sure to request to be scheduled with the CVM embedded counselor.
The Student Counseling Services site (SCS) offers many resources about mental health, life concerns, learning and academic skills challenges and career uncertainty.
SCS has many counselors in addition to the embedded CVM counselor, and offers individual counseling, affinity groups, therapy groups and workshops.
- Provides primary care, mental health, transgender health, eye, dental, pharmacy, nutrition, and many other health services
- Has a St. Paul campus location
- Provides brief case management, student support, and referrals to community resources
- St. Paul Campus Mobile Food Shelf
- Free groceries & household items available to any University of Minnesota student and their family
- Available on the 2nd Thursday of every month, 12-2pm
- Commonwealth Terrace Cooperative Housing north parking lot
- Serves anyone in any type of crisis & access to free, 24/7 emotional support and counseling via text
- Text: text HOME to 741-741
- Phone: 1-800-273-8255 (TALK)
- Also offered in spanish and for deaf/hard of hearing callers
- The Lifeline provides 24/7, free and confidential support for people in distress, prevention and crisis resources for you or your loved ones, and best practices for professionals
- Phone: 1-800-931-2237
- Non-profit US organization advocating on behalf of and supporting individuals and families affected by eating disorders.
Did you know?
There is also support from Health Sciences available.
Visit the Academic Success Centers page for more info.
- Al’s Breakfast (Dinkytown) - “Cozy” diner, delicious food!
- Brasa (Minneapolis and St. Paul) - Food inspired by South America.
- Colossal Cafe (Minneapolis and St. Paul) - Great food, coffee, and study environment.
- Foxy Falafel (St. Paul) - Casual Mediterranean cuisine.
- Grateful Table (St. Paul) – Small breakfast and lunch café with great coffee and excellent food!
- Herbivorous Butcher (Minneapolis) - Vegan market showcased on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives.
- Isle's Bun and Coffee (Minneapolis) - AMAZING cinnamon rolls at a good price; dine in or order frozen to bake at home!
- Izzy's Ice Cream (Minneapolis and St. Paul locations) - Don’t forget your Izzy’s scoop as a topper!
- Other good ice cream spots: Nelson’s (cheap and HUGE portions), Grand Ol’ Creamery, Sebastian Joe’s, Sonny's
- Keys Cafe (St. Paul) - Great breakfast + delicious pies = yes please!
- Matt’s Bar (Minneapolis), The Nook (St. Paul), and The Blue Door (Minneapolis/St. Paul) for Jucy Lucys- a Minnesota staple!
- Pizzeria Lola (Minneapolis) - Wood-fired artisan pizzeria.
- Quang's (Minneapolis) - Great Vietnamese food!
- Ramen Kazama (Minneapolis) - Japanese soup shop. Three words...bone marrow ramen.
- Revival (Minneapolis) - Spotlight on southern fried chicken with all the fixin’s.
- Sea Salt (Minnehaha Park) - Open April to October with amazing seafood right by the Falls.
- The Finnish Bistro (St. Paul) - Amazing Finnish food with occasional live music!
- The Happy Gnome (St. Paul) - Great food and over 70 rotating beers on tap!
- The Red Cow (multiple locations) - Delicious burgers.
- Ward 6 (St. Paul) - All you need to know is adult milkshakes.
Places and Things
- Farmer’s Markets: (twincitiesfarmersmarkets.com) There are so many good ones, big and small.
- Riverview theater: (riverviewtheater.com) Second-run movies for cheap!
- Vertical Endeavors (Minneapolis and St. Paul): (verticalendeavors.com) Indoor rock climbing.
- Hiking/Lakes: Get in some outdoor fun before the temperature gets below 0℉!
- Minnehaha Falls (and dog park!)
- Como Lake, Lake Harriet, Lake Calhoun
- Dog Parks: check out sidewalkdog.com for an interactive map
- Midtown Global Market: (midtownglobalmarket.org) Lots of food (ex: Taco Cat) and ethnic trinkets from around the world.
- MN Zoo and Como Zoo (← free!)
- Science Museum smm.org
- Mill City Museum millcitymuseum.org
- Minneapolis Institute of Art new.artsmia.org
- The Walker (and eventually sculpture garden after construction) walkerart.org
- Music and Shows:
- Check out First Avenue’s calendar for music all over the Cities: first-avenue.com/calendar
- Orpheum Theater orpheum.theatreminneapolis.com
- Breweries: Surly, Indeed, Northbound Smokehouse and Brewpub, Bad Weather,