Wellness and Academic Success
Need to talk? The University of Minnesota-Twin Cities 24/7 crisis line is here for you. Call 612-301-4673 (HOPE) anytime.
You can also text "UMN" to 61222. Both phone and text offer 24/7 help to our campus community.
If you or someone you know is experiencing a life-threatening emergency, call 9-1-1.
For more extensive mental health resources available on campus, visit the Provost Committee on Student Mental Health.
The University of Minnesota-Twin Cities crisis line is a separate service from the state line recently in the news. Our campus telephone and text line remain available 24/7 to the University community.
Student Well-Being Handbook
The Student Well-Being Handbook is a resource to help students restore and maintain a sense of well-being when confronted with academic challenges, financial, physical or emotional stress or health issues, and sudden developments in our personal lives that may threaten happiness, success, or well-being.
Learn to Live
Learn to live offers free, 100% confidential online programs for stress, anxiety and worry, depression and social anxiety.
Visit https://www.learntolive.com/partners and enter the code UMN for access.
Student Counseling Services
The Student Counseling Services site (SCS) offers many resources about mental health, life concerns, learning and academic skills challenges and career uncertainty and has an office right on the St. Paul campus.
199 Coffey Hall
1420 Eckles Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55108
Local and National Resources
- Serves anyone in any type of crisis & access to free, 24/7 emotional support and counseling via text
- Text: text HOME to 741-741
- Phone: 1-800-273-8255 (TALK)
- Also offered in spanish and for deaf/hard of hearing callers
- The Lifeline provides 24/7, free and confidential support for people in distress, prevention and crisis resources for you or your loved ones, and best practices for professionals
- Phone: 1-800-931-2237
- Non-profit US organization advocating on behalf of and supporting individuals and families affected by eating disorders.
- Phone: 1-888-364-5977
- Treating people who struggle with anorexia nervosa, bulemia nervosa, binge eating, compulsive overeating, obesita, and other specific feeding and eating disorders (OSFED)
- Can schedule eating disorder assessment online or over the phone
- Multiple St. Paul locations
- Online resource for college mental health
- Email: email@example.com
- Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/VINFoundationVets4Vets/
- Vets4Vets was created by a group of Vinners, a couple of years ago, to help colleagues going through challenging times. Vets4Vets support team members are volunteers- some are retired, some active associates, some are hospital owners. Our Vets4Vets team members are here to provide peer support based upon our experiences in the veterinary profession. We come from all areas of the profession, and make ourselves available to work with folks that have all kinds of issues → OPEN TO STUDENTS AND CLINICIANS
- The best way to get matched is to either call the team (530 546-7522 tell them you are calling for a Vets4Vets confidential phone consult) so they can arrange a phone consult, or email some details about your situation.
- $29 online program (takes ~1 hour)
- Helps you identify and know what to do with someone who is expressing suicidal thoughts
UMN: Boynton Health Mental Health Clinic (East Bank)
- Location: 410 Church St SE
- Hours: 7:45am-4:30pm M-W, F and 9am-4:30pm Th
- Phone: 616-625-3222 (appointments), 612-625-8400 (info), 612-625-7900 (medical info nurse)
- Email for general questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
UMN: Boynton Health Mental Health Clinic (St. Paul)
- Location: Coffey Hall, 1420 Eckles Ave
- Hours: 7:45am-4:30pm M-W, F and 9am-4:30pm Th → closed 12:45-1:45pm
- Phone: 612-625-7700 (appointments), 612-625-8400 (info)
- Email for general questions: email@example.com
Veterinary Social Worker - Athena Diesch-Chham
- Located in Veterinary Medical Center
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
UMN Student Counseling Services (Minneapolis campus)
- Location: 340 Appleby Hall
- Hours: 9am-3:30pm M-F (walk-in), 8am-4:30pm (office hours)
- Phone: 612-624-3323
- Email: counseling @umn.edu
- Location: 199 Coffey Hall
- Hours: 8am-4:30pm M-F
- Phone: 612-624-3323
- Email: email@example.com
- 24 hour helpline: 612-301-4673 (HOPE) OR text “UMN” to 61222
- Non-emergency, but want to talk to someone immediately for assistance about what to do next
- Resources for alcohol/drug misuse, counseling, crisis/urgent consultation, medication options, online self assessment, stress management, topic-specific info…
- Info for helping a friend
- Research participation
Did you know?
There is also support from Health Sciences available?
Visit the Academic Success Centers page for more info.
- Al’s Breakfast (Dinkytown) - “Cozy” diner, delicious food!
- Brasa (Minneapolis and St. Paul) - Food inspired by South America.
- Colossal Cafe (Minneapolis and St. Paul) - Great food, coffee, and study environment.
- Foxy Falafel (St. Paul) - Casual Mediterranean cuisine.
- Grateful Table (St. Paul) – Small breakfast and lunch café with great coffee and excellent food!
- Herbivorous Butcher (Minneapolis) - Vegan market showcased on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives.
- Isle's Bun and Coffee (Minneapolis) - AMAZING cinnamon rolls at a good price; dine in or order frozen to bake at home!
- Izzy's Ice Cream (Minneapolis and St. Paul locations) - Don’t forget your Izzy’s scoop as a topper!
- Other good ice cream spots: Nelson’s (cheap and HUGE portions), Grand Ol’ Creamery, Sebastian Joe’s, Sonny's
- Keys Cafe (St. Paul) - Great breakfast + delicious pies = yes please!
- Matt’s Bar (Minneapolis), The Nook (St. Paul), and The Blue Door (Minneapolis/St. Paul) for Jucy Lucys- a Minnesota staple!
- Pizzeria Lola (Minneapolis) - Wood-fired artisan pizzeria.
- Quang's (Minneapolis) - Great Vietnamese food!
- Ramen Kazama (Minneapolis) - Japanese soup shop. Three words...bone marrow ramen.
- Revival (Minneapolis) - Spotlight on southern fried chicken with all the fixin’s.
- Sea Salt (Minnehaha Park) - Open April to October with amazing seafood right by the Falls.
- The Finnish Bistro (St. Paul) - Amazing Finnish food with occasional live music!
- The Happy Gnome (St. Paul) - Great food and over 70 rotating beers on tap!
- The Red Cow (multiple locations) - Delicious burgers.
- Ward 6 (St. Paul) - All you need to know is adult milkshakes.
Places and Things
- Farmer’s Markets: (twincitiesfarmersmarkets.com) There are so many good ones, big and small.
- Riverview theater: (riverviewtheater.com) Second-run movies for cheap!
- Vertical Endeavors (Minneapolis and St. Paul): (verticalendeavors.com) Indoor rock climbing.
- Hiking/Lakes: Get in some outdoor fun before the temperature gets below 0℉!
- Minnehaha Falls (and dog park!)
- Como Lake, Lake Harriet, Lake Calhoun
- Dog Parks: check out sidewalkdog.com for an interactive map
- Midtown Global Market: (midtownglobalmarket.org) Lots of food (ex: Taco Cat) and ethnic trinkets from around the world.
- MN Zoo and Como Zoo (← free!)
- Science Museum smm.org
- Mill City Museum millcitymuseum.org
- Minneapolis Institute of Art new.artsmia.org
- The Walker (and eventually sculpture garden after construction) walkerart.org
- Music and Shows:
- Check out First Avenue’s calendar for music all over the Cities: first-avenue.com/calendar
- Orpheum Theater orpheum.theatreminneapolis.com
- Breweries: Surly, Indeed, Northbound Smokehouse and Brewpub, Bad Weather,