Shipping a sample
The Minnesota Urolith Center is temporarily closed during the COVID-19 crisis, but we have limited essential personnel in the laboratory who can help. If you have a case requiring urgent sample analysis, please send it for analysis. Enter the sample information online and ship samples using a trackable shipping method. Please allow additional time for analysis. We will be accessing and responding to voice and email: [email protected]. You can use our free MN Urolith App to predict the mineral composition of your patient’s urolith. In addition to the Apple or Google Play Store, you can also find the CALCUlator on our website.
The Minnesota Urolith Center does not provide containers or prepaid mailers. Any shipping, duties, or customs inspection charges are the responsibility of the shipper. Domestic samples can be shipped via US Mail or through your preferred shipper.
Sending specimens by a carrier that provides tracking will minimize transit delays. If shipping through the US Postal Service please review the new postal regulations here. Effective October 1, 2019, mailpieces bearing stamps for postage that are more than one-half inch thick or weigh more than 10 ounces will be prohibited from entering the mail stream through collection boxes, building mail chutes, and Post Office mail slots.
To confirm that the sample was received, check back into your account on our online laboratory and select “search” in the top navigation bar. This page will list the status of all samples under your clinic account. For further assistance, view the printable guide with images, visit our FAQ page or contact us at [email protected]
- Print out the packing slip and address label. Verify that owner/patient names on specimen container and paperwork match.
- If you notice an error, write the correction on the submission form. We will correct the data when we receive the sample.
- Place the specimen container in a plastic bag, use one staple to attach bag to the back of the submission form -or- use a two pouch plastic bag. Place the sample in the Ziploc portion. Place the folded submission form in the outer pocket with the barcode facing out.
- Use paper envelopes. Plastic or glass vials may not withstand shipping in a paper envelope.
- Rubber band the submission form around the vial. It impedes sample processing and document scanning.
- Place the submission form inside the vial. Samples can be lost when we retrieve the form.
- Submit samples labeled with the biohazard symbol because regulations require special handling and disposal of these samples.
- Place the sealed plastic bag containing the specimen vial, packing slip, and packing material in a sturdy outer box.
- Secure with packing tape. Adhere the address label (second page of packing slip) to the outside of the package if needed
Within the USA
The package can be shipped via USPS* FedEx UPS or your preferred carrier
*If shipping via USPS, visit usps.com to calculate the appropriate postage for parcel size and weight. **Effective October 1, 2019, mailpieces bearing stamps for postage that are more than one-half inch thick or weigh more than 10 ounces will be prohibited from entering the mail stream through collection boxes, building mail chutes, and Post Office mail slots. Please review the new postal regulations here.
Not in the USA?
Contact your regional Hill’s Pet Nutrition division/distributor for instructions/assistance with shipping. You are responsible for all shipping, customs and duties costs. You are responsible for including required import documents. More info