Dogs with cancer, surgical: Study 301
Study title: 301: Collection of Biological Specimens from Dogs Scheduled for Biopsy or Surgery for Suspected or Known Cancer
Current Status: Open and enrolling
Principal Investigator: Amber Wolf-Ringwall, DVM, PhD
Co-Investigator: Antonella Borgatti, DVM, MS, DACVIM, DECVIM
Contact: Dr. Wolf-Ringwall, [email protected]
Sara Pracht, CVT, Lead Research Study Technician, [email protected], 612-626-3574
COVID-19 NOTE: Please note that our clinical trials are on hold pending decisions at the government and university. Please check back weekly for updates.
This study is collecting samples from dogs in support of the development of a noninvasive test for the early detection of cancer. The study will compare certain markers in the blood that are specific to cancer but not found in healthy dogs before and after surgical biopsy or surgical removal of a mass.
Dogs 1 year of age or older, weighing a minimum of 12 pounds (approximately 5.5 kg), who have a current or suspected diagnosis of cancer, and which are scheduled for either a surgical biopsy or surgical removal of a mass that is known or suspected to be cancerous.
- Baseline visit to collect data and blood sample
- Dogs which have a confirmed diagnosis of cancer but have not yet had staging tests will have one or more of these procedures at the veterinarian’s discretion
- If the dog’s biopsy or surgery reveals a diagnosis of cancer for the first time, one or more staging procedures may also be done
- After the biopsy or tumor removal is complete, a small fragment of the tissue will be collected for the Sponsor
- On the regularly scheduled follow up visit 3-30 days following the biopsy or surgery, a final blood sample will be collected
Costs of the study:
- The study covers the costs of the blood sampling and exam fees for study visits
- The study covers up to $1,000 for cancer staging tests if tests are performed at the University of Minnesota Veterinary Medical Center after enrollment
- In addition, owners will be eligible for a debit card with $50 for the baseline visit, and $25 for the follow up visit
To learn more or to enroll, please contact Sara Pracht or Dr. Amber Wolf-Ringwall (above).