Dogs with cancer, non-surgical: Study 201
Study title: 201: Collection of Biological Specimens from Dogs Diagnosed with Cancer and Not Scheduled to Undergo Surgery for Tumor Removal
Current Status: On hold due to COVID-19; seeing follow up appointments for dogs already enrolled
Principal Investigator: Amber Wolf-Ringwall, DVM, PhD
Co-Investigator: Antonella Borgatti, DVM, MS, DACVIM, DECVIM
Contact: Dr. Wolf-Ringwall, [email protected]
Kelly Bergsrud, CVT, Senior Research Study Technician, [email protected], 612-624-9597
COVID-19 NOTE: Please note that our clinical trials are on hold pending decisions at the government and university. Please check back weekly for updates.
This study is collecting blood samples from dogs in support of the development of a noninvasive test for the early detection of cancer. The study will compare certain markers in the blood that are specific to cancer but not found in healthy dogs before and after treatment for cancer has begun.
Dogs 1 year of age or older, weighing a minimum of 12 pounds (approximately 5.5 kg), who have a current diagnosis of cancer, and which have not yet begun a surgical treatment plan, or which will not begin a surgical treatment plan, are eligible to participate.
• Baseline visit to collect blood sample
• Dogs which have not yet had staging tests will have one or more of these procedures at the veterinarian’s discretion
• Follow up visits at 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year to collect history on cancer treatments to-date and collect blood samples
• If the dog’s cancer treatment changes or ends, or the dog goes in or out of remission, or has any other changes, we would like to collect a blood sample
• Study lasts up to one year
Costs of the study:
• The study covers the costs of the blood sampling and exam fees for study visits
• The study covers up to $1,000 for cancer staging tests if tests are performed at the University of Minnesota Veterinary Medical Center after enrollment
• In addition, owners will be eligible for a debit card with $50 for the baseline visit, and $25 for each follow up visit
To learn more or to enroll, please contact Kelly Bergsrud or Dr. Amber Wolf-Ringwall (above).