Topical cream for dogs with superficial pyoderma
Study Title: Efficacy of a ceragenin-based cream to treat canine superficial pyoderma - A randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled clinical trial
Current Status: Open and enrolling
Principal Investigator: Sheila Torres, DVM, MS, PhD, DACVD
Contacts: Dr. Torres: firstname.lastname@example.org
Andrea Eckert, email@example.com, 612-625-3157
Study purpose and design:
Superficial bacterial skin infections (superficial pyoderma) complicate most skin conditions of dogs, usually making the primary disease worse. Researchers are searching for new antibiotics which are effective and less likely to cause resistance. This study is of one such treatment, a ceragenin-based cream vs a cream placebo. We recently completed a study in 12 dogs to determine the dose used in this trial. This is a blinded study, meaning neither the investigator nor the owner will know what treatment each dog is on.
- will have superficial pyoderma - one or more lesions as seen in this file: pyoderma examples
- will have an underlying dermatological condition such as allergies or adverse food reaction, but no mange
- otherwise healthy, no other disease except skin disorder
- must be able to stop any topical treatments
- systemic antibiotics will be discontinued if they have had no effect on the infection
- many medications may be continued if not altered and if used for at least the four weeks prior to enrollment (such as glucocorticoids, cyclosporine, Apoquel, more)
The study lasts 21 days. Dogs will be enrolled on Day 0 if they meet all the eligibility criteria. One area on the dog's skin will be marked as the study area. Photographs will be taken of the area. The owner will be given the cream to use at home, twice per day on the marked off area. There will be a recheck visit on Day 7 for exam, photographs and assessment of response. The owner will continue to use the cream for another week, then visit the clinic on Day 14 for exam, photos and assessments. Owners will stop using the cream, and return on Day 21 for a final visit for exam, photographs and assessment of response.
Costs of the study:
The study covers the costs of all study visits and the cream. Owners who complete the study will be eligible for a $100 debit card.
To learn more or to enroll, please contact Andrea Eckert or Dr. Torres (above)